Sunday, July 11, 2010

An Abundance of Apricot Jam......(When Will It End?)

Well, now I pray that the apricots will finish producing soon. I have put up several egg baskets full of apricots  and given away countless bags to friends. I keep reminding myself that come January, the sweetness of these jams will be heaven.





As you can see, this was a BIG day of Jamming!  I put up strawberry and apricot jam  - it is so fulfilling to see the end product.

I think one reason I am getting such satisfaction from the gardening, jam making, 'putting up' produce, and mowing and the like, is that I can see an end result.  With my professional career in human resources, the work, problems and projects were ongoing and never really had an end with concrete results.

The garden is producing big time so I foresee that I will be freezing and storing big time soon.

If you have never read Barbara Kingsolver's book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, then I recommend it. She chronicles her families life for a year where they lived off the land. It is fascinating and has given me many great ideas. She is one of my favorite authors.

We had friends from Denver visit last evening.  We sure enjoyed their company.  After pie, wine and dinner, we played a great game of "oh hell" until midnight but didn't have to hurry Sunday morning so it was a leisurely start and they managed to get out of here around mid-day. Nice to have friends visit.

No comments: